Monday, November 3, 2008

Halfway to Athens

So, last Sunday was my big race day. The night before the event I had to load up on the carbs, so I went out for Italian with my fabulous sisters-in-law, Kimmy and Janelle. I had a hazelnut pesto pasta with all sorts of veggies and goat cheese--splendid. I went to bed extra early so I would feel rested and, of course, I barely slept at all. That always happens to me. If I am nervous that I won't wake up in time for something, I just don't sleep. So, I didn't even need the alarm when it went off at 4:45 am. I dressed in my most fancy running apparel, so as to at least give the impression of knowing what I was doing, and left the house at about 5:15 for NC State. Ben dropped me off and I proceeded to wander around aimlessly with the 20 or so other people who were there on time. I pride myself on my punctuality, regardless of how pointless it may be (i.e. this event). Over the course of the next hour, the starting area filled with thousands of runners old and young, skinny and not so much. At 8:00 the gun went off, although I didn't hear it, and we were off.
I won't bore you with the details of running for close to three hours (I never said I was fast), but I will give a word of advice those who are desiring to train for one of these races: run at least 10 miles in your training. I was only able to run 8 miles in my race prep and after mile 8 in the race, I was spent. I knew I could finish it, but I was pretty exhausted. Incidentally, as I was running mile 8, the winner of the full marathon passed me on his way to the finish (mile 21). If I wasn't so ridiculously tired, I might have been embarrassed. Luckily, at about that same time I saw a table set up with a couple of dudes passing out free beer to the runners. It was amusing, and even more amusing that the guy behind me took one and stopped to walk as to not spill it. As for me, I stuck with water. There is something liberating about throwing that paper cup on the ground after you snatch it out of some little girl's hand.
So, blah, blah, blah I finished. Ben, Jack, and Lila were at the finish line which was really awesome. I got a super cool medal, one of those metallic sheets which I am still unsure of the purpose, and a bottle of water. Ben took one really unflattering picture with my iPhone, so I might have to reenact the whole thing and get some really great shots to post on here. I got an email to buy the professional pictures they took during the race, but I am not paying $30 for a picture of me looking like I might keel over at any moment. Anyway, I finished the race within the goal time that I set for myself, so I am pretty pleased. I am already planning to do another one in March at Disney World. We'll see if it works out-it's hard to plan anything long term these days. I just realized that haven't run since I finished that race. Maybe I should go do that...

4 comments:

Mandy Stewart said...

Congrats! You have so much more will power than me! I ran my tread mill today! Woohoo!

Ana said...

HEY! I feel gyped (is that an offensive word?) that we didn't get the picture Ben took. Lame. Congrats on this one Annie.. maybe I'll join you on the one in Disney World.. do you get in free to Disney?

Devin & Amanda said...

I am totally impressed. And I haven't run since I did the 10k on July 4th... That is embarassing to admit, but it is true. And since I am planning on the half marathon in March as well, I had better get on the ball. Great job, Annie!

Carol said...

You are so awesome for doing one and even more so for already planning your next one! YOU ROCK!