Monday, December 8, 2008

Miracle


Lila and I celebrating good news on Thursday.

I probably should have written this post a few days ago, but I have been busy with Christmas stuff and clinic stuff and Ben in NYC while Lila's in the hospital stuff. Anyway, we got some amazing news on Thursday, but before I get to that, I feel like I need to give a bit of background:
Lila had her first surgery back in May to remove a pretty big tumor from her brain. She had three rounds of chemotherapy followed by a follow-up MRI in September. We truly thought that this would be a routine MRI. They would tell us things looked good and we would continue on with treatment. That MRI showed a recurrence of her tumor and we were completely blown away. Totally devastated. It had only been 3 1/2 months and a pretty significant sized tumor had come back. She had another surgery to remove it and subsequently, a different protocol was required for the new tumor. We have been doing this treatment for the last two months with one more to go, followed by her stem-cell transplant in January.
Needless to say, we were super nervous about her next MRI. We were hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst since we got sucker-punched last time. Lila had her MRI last Wednesday and they gave us the news on Thursday that she is CANCER FREE! Her oncologist says she is in REMISSION! I can't tell you how freaking awesome this is. I am fully aware that we still have a road ahead of us and it's probably going to suck, but I know I can handle it because my baby is a superhero. If she can kick cancer's ass, then I can deal with some barf and long days at the hospital.
Although I know it's not nearly enough, I wanted to say thank you to everyone who has prayed for Lila. We have seriously felt the love and prayers and support from all of you and words truly cannot express how grateful I am for that. Your prayers helped my little girl get through this. I couldn't ask for a better gift.
Merry Christmas.


Lila and Ben. She totally knows that there's only a brain in her head this time!

8 comments:

ibid said...

that is 18 kinds of awesome.

Brooke said...

Wow. WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW. Lila IS a superhero!

Amy said...

Yay for SuperBaby and true miracles! That is so happy. Have a fantastic Christmas:)

Mandy Stewart said...

I am SOOOO happy for you and your family,Annie! Enjoy your Miracle
:-)

lindsey said...

That is SO amazing!

Habs said...

I am a friend to the Zufelt's and stumbled upon your blog. Even though I don't know you, I want to say congratulations and warm wishes for future success as well! Merry Christmas she's a beautiful baby.

Rachelle said...

not sure how but i just found YOUR blog!!!

your children are beautiful. you all look so good. i'm happy to hear your little lila is doing well.

merry christmas!!

David and Rachel said...

Annie, I seriously almost cried reading that post. That is truly amazing and so is your precious little girl. I am so very happy for you and your family and I will continue to pray that things will stay the way they are now.