Friday, January 23, 2009

Day 0

The days leading up to transplant are negative days (-9 through-1). Now we count up from transplant, so tomorrow will be day 1. Does this make sense? I'm sure I could've explained that better, but whatever. We started the transplant at 12:30 today and were completely done by 1:00. Super fast, super uneventful. Two nurses came in to get everything going and stayed in the room to take her vitals (blood pressure, temperature) every 2-3 minutes. Lila handled it all like a pro and is now resting from the hard work of sitting on my lap while they did the infusion.

This is before transplant. The little bag I'm holding is her bag o' cells (the watery red stuff inside=the cells). And for inquiring minds, it absolutely did smell, but more like creamed corn and garlic. Equally as weird, maybe a little more gross.


This is after. Not much different, except that she now has healthy cells running around in her body trying to make more so she can go home. And, yes I am aware that I look absolutely stunning, so no need to mention it.


We get to take the bag home as a souvenir of sorts. The nurses lovingly decorated it with stickers. I'm pretty sure it's just coincidence that they put Snow White on there--I imagine no one here at Duke actually saw my amazing performance as her in Into the Woods.


So it's done. Now we wait. The docs say it should be about 7-10 days before her counts start coming up. We all know that she's kind of a super hero, so it might be faster for her. I'm just saying...

5 comments:

Diana said...

I am so very happy for you guys! Now Lila needs to get healthy so you guys can come on down and meet Jakob!

Kresta said...

A big yay for Super Lila! And her Super Mom!

skumar said...

Amazing! Snow White -Ha! There really are no coincidences. Love you.

Guy Mayhem said...

Interesting. I didn't know it was just going to be a bag. I imagined this crazy surgery, some kind of cloning chamber, and maybe some lasers.

But a bag, eh? I'm glad she's okay but a little disappointed. Bags. Bah. Modern science sucks.

Christa said...

I don't know how you make a transplant entertaining but you did. Congrats. And go Lila!