Tuesday, February 3, 2009

180


close up.

Well, Lila has had a bit of a turnaround the last couple of days. She is happy and smiling and talking A LOT (and by talking I mean, babbling, not like reciting poetry--sorry, James). The goals right now are mainly trying to get her to eat and drink (she is currently getting TPN, which is nutrition through an IV).
The doctors are closely watching all kinds of different things: blood oxygen levels, heart rate, kidney and liver function, etc...but the most important thing are her blood counts, mainly her white blood cell count. On Saturday it hit 0, which was expected, but then it becomes a matter of how quickly she can recover it back to "normal" which is the 3-14 range. Well, today she was at .3 which may not seem too exciting, but it is officially wonderful news because it means her body is making more cells (shouts of "huzzah" here). Her doctors were very pleased with this and they are speculating that she may get to go home as early as next week.
While this is all fandamntastic news, "home", unfortunately will be an apartment next to the hospital for a couple of weeks. She has to stay nearby in case of a fever or some other emergency which would require a fast trip back to the transplant unit. After about two weeks they will reassess the situation and let us know if we can go home for real. Now we get to start learning how to take care of her without the help of a licensed professional (drawing blood, dressing changes, flushing IV's...). Anyone know a nurse that would want to move in with us?

Lila is ready to go home NOW.

6 comments:

mama.laughead said...

I've been reading your blog and I want to tell you that Lila is SO beautiful. My daughters are beautiful, so I know what I am talking about.
Your fam is in our prayers too.

gaye said...

Yeah Lila.... you are my heroine!!!

Valerie said...

I'm so happy she's feeling better. No, I don't know a nurse who would move in with you, but mostly, that's because I don't actually know a nurse. Period.

Habs said...

I am so glad to hear Lila is doing better. It's amazing that 0 to .3 can be such a huge accomplishment. I will keep your family in my prayers.

janelle said...

Is she off to rob a bank?

ERIN said...

She is soo adorable! That's so good to hear she's doing better. She is to cute to be feeling bad!!