Friday, February 13, 2009

Moving Day

Thursday was the big day. I spent the morning running around getting prescriptions and making trips to the car with all of the stuff we have accumulated over the past four weeks. I had to be trained on Lila's feeding pump (as of right now she is getting 40mL per hour continuously pumped into her 24 hrs. a day) and the nurses had to make sure I knew how to draw her labs every morning, flush out her lines, and change the caps and dressing on her central line. I have done each of these things one time with a nurse present, so when they asked me if I was confident with the procedures, I of course said "sure. no problem." Just between you and me, I am totally nervous about it. If I change her cap and forget to clamp the line, do you know what will happen? Yes, that's right, blood will shoot out everywhere because her central line is a direct line into a vein in her chest. Aaaaahhh, this is going to be fun.
Finally, after many papers were signed, we were ready to make the big 5 minute trip to our apartment in Durham. The Doc says we will probably only have to stay for one week instead of two because, well, you know--Lila is awesome. So here it is, the much anticipated parade:



She was a little bit terrified of the parade because it really is just people yelling and throwing things at her.

Today was her first clinic appointment and everything looks great. She doesn't have to wear the big, hideous, green mask that she has on in the pictures. Mostly because they cover her entire face, eyes included-she wasn't keen on that. They said she was fine just to wear those cute little Mickey Mouse paper masks that she wore in the hospital. The clinic Dr. was amazed that she was only on 3 medications and a multi-vitamin. Most kids leave with a grocery sac of meds. All of her blood counts are good and she's so happy to be free from all the wires (well, all but one--stupid pump). She spent all day rolling around on the floor. Not really my idea of a good time, but she was more than content.
Oh and also, she says bear--her first official word.

The bear. Yes, it's just a head.

10 comments:

Candice Jenkins said...

The parade comment made me laugh out loud!!! :)

Guy Mayhem said...

Am I sick because it was the blood shooting comment that made me laugh out loud?

Julie Howington said...

Is it just me, or does Guy Mayhem look like Jack's (old) best friend, James? And does James think that changing his name to a cool name like "Guy" (Hey Guy, look at that Guy....) will make Jack like him more?

Anonymous said...

Annie neglected to mention that TuTu grandma taught Lila to say BEAR...she is so intelligent it is scary. Also, I am with Julie, Guy looks a lot like James...is he possibly going thru the Garth Brooks or P. Diddy phase of name change and image change. Tell us Valerie....is James losing it?

Valerie said...

That bear is creepy.

James is having an identity crisis. Just go with it people.

Anonymous said...

My apology to Nellie who I understand taught Lila to say BEAR while tending her in the hospital. I will have to work on another word like TuTu Grandma.

Shiloh said...

dearest Lila,

I heart you more than mother's milk.

Xoxo
Pete

lindsey said...

Yeah!! Such good news! I hope that everything continues to go well!!

chadandash said...

Ok so I just barely found your blog. I love all your pictures. Im so glad she is coming home. Brenna misses her little friend. Happy birthday as well! Please let me know if I can take Jack of your hands. Jace would love it.

Nancy Page said...

Congratulations! That make me so happy to see you walk out of the hospital with a happy baby. You guys have been through so much and it just makes me happy to see lila, so cute. I hope that i get to see her other than a computer screen someday.