Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Dear Tom Hanks,


I'm over you. After years and years of loyal, some might say too loyal, fan-hood, I am pretty much done. FYI, this is not just about the whole "Mormons are un-American" business or the fact that you think it's perfectly fine to produce a show that (despite repeated requests to the contrary) shows a sacred religious ceremony on cable television. Those are proabably good enough reasons, but they are not the only ones.
We all know any famous person who constantly uses their celebrity for political purposes eventually becomes super weird and/or super duper annoying (i.e. Sally Field, Oprah, The Dixie Chicks). I think you have finally reached the point where you think you are something bigger than just a movie star. Tom, you are just a movie star. As my grandpa would say, "You're gettin' too big for your britches". I am pretty sure people aren't going to change their fundamental beliefs because of something you said, but I am also pretty sure you think they would. The funny thing is Tom, you and I agree on a lot of things. I just think you are soooooooo obnoxious about it.
I am sad that it had to come to this. I still think you got robbed for not winning the Oscar for Cast Away and Bosom Buddies is a classic.

Sincerely,
A Disillusioned Fan

10 comments:

Jeff and Stacey said...

I did not know he produced that show!! He is not my favorite anymore either...

Anonymous said...

It is sad when the Hollywood Elite begin to think that they are more than they are. Have you ever watched any of them on Celebrity game shows...they really are quite dumb when it come to common knowledge questions. I still love Tom's acting...I just can't stop, but I don't like HIM anymore. We all suffer when our heroes become just common dumb people. Jan

Candice Jenkins said...

He produces "Big Love?" I am just making sure I understand. I can be a little slow. I agree with you, although I still listen to the Dixie Chicks; I can't stop.

Michelle Judd said...

AMEN!

Valerie said...

Well, I won't say I'm not bummed to hear this (I still have the picture of you laying on his star in hollywood), but, you're right. The time has come.
p.s. Bosom buddies might be his best work.

Christa said...

What about "Big"? Don't you love that movie? C'mon there is a piano you can dance on!

mnmsalyer said...

I've been wrestling with the things I've noticed him doing more and more over the last several years, too. He's always seemed kind of like the male version of "America's Sweetheart" - or least he used to be. While I don't think I'd go so far as to call him or anyone else dumb - I don't want to be in the business of judging people that way - I certainly have lost personal respect and professional interest for/in him. I do still respect the fact that he and his wife are married and seem to love each other and their family. Perhaps one day they'll be sealed. ;-)

What frustrates me almost as much as his choices, though, is the way so many people have given that show - which was quietly fading away at one point - a whole new kind of publicity. I'm glad you didn't mention the title of the show in your original post. I don't want to give it one more bit of publicity than it already has. I'm sure they subscribe to the addage that all publicity - negative or positive - is good publicity.

Nancy Page said...

You make me laugh, but I have to agree. Why di they get so full of themselves the older they get?!

Jaggers Brain said...

agreed... to all of the above!

Tracy Whitt said...

ditto ---