Sunday, May 3, 2009

Heroes

This Saturday we went to The Rainbow of Heroes Walk. It's the annual fundraiser for The Pediatric Blood and Marrow Transplant Program at Duke (why can't these things have shorter names?). They had tons of fun things to do for the kiddies: bouncy houses (James, you missed out), face painting, snow cones, putt putt golf, and a bunch of free crap from the National Guard...I have no idea why.

Our Day:

The cake honoring all the transplanted kids in 2009


It was a walk and she didn't walk at all. Ugh.


Us


Jack was a fan of all the sports games

He's got some skills


Having fun


Too much fun (my mom came. hurray for moms)

We had a blast and it was so great to see all the nurses and doctors and families that we spent soooooo much time with on 5200. It was awesome to see those kids walking outside and not up and down that single hallway.
Sadly, I talked to the Grandma of Lucy, one of Lila's neighbors on 5200. She told us that Lucy passed away on Easter Sunday. The transplant didn't take and her cancer came back. She was beautiful and brave and only 2 years old. I was devastated to hear about Lucy, but her Grandma told me that although she has hard days, she knows Lucy isn't suffering anymore and that makes her happy. I admire her perspective and her wisdom. Lucy and her Grandma are definitely two of my heroes.

6 comments:

Susanna said...

Wow. What a beautiful/strange/hard experience. I'm so glad that little lady is doing so well. You and Ben are my heroes. I don't know how you've done all that you have.

Valerie said...

Oh, Annie. Did I ever tell you you're my hero? You're everything I wish I could be.

But really, you're great, and Lila looks great (if not a bit lazy, no walking, come on), and Jack and Ben and Janners. What fun.

And seriously, I can fly higher than an eagle...

Anonymous said...

It was a really great and inspiring day for TuTu Grandma and Lila was such a trooper until she fell asleep during the walk and I generously agreeded to take her to the shady area and hold her til the walk was over. I do think I got in about 2 miles.....Yeah, me!Annie and Ben and Jack are all heroes. All of those families are. It was amazing and sad to see all the t-shirts "in memory" of all the ones that did not finish their mortal journey, but fought brave fights while they were here. Families come back for years and years after they have lost their little ones.

Guy Mayhem said...

Look at Jack. So happy. Playing minigolf now. He doesn't even need me anymore. He's forgotten me completely. And look at Lila's beautiful hair.

And I'm running in the Joggin for Noggins race. Unless it's in Texas. Because they hate poets there and they usually bbq them up.

Jaggers Brain said...

Annie I am so happy to see hair on Lila's beautiful head! She looks so good. You're family is amazing, and such an inspiration to so many. (Sorry for being so cheesy!)

gk risser said...

You're cool Annie.