Monday, August 17, 2009

The Classics

I often think about how awesome the cartoons of my childhood were compared to all this "It's preschool on TV" nonsense that they have now. Don't get me wrong, as a parent I love that cartoons are actually teaching my kids Spanish, how to play nicely with others, etc... but these kids really have no idea what they are missing by never having seen Thunder-Thunder-Thundercats or He-Man or Grape Ape just to name a few.
I went to Costco a while back and found one of my all time favorite movies as a kid. I needed to buy it, not for myself (c'mon guys...) but for my kids to get a taste of some seriously awesome cartoon cinema before all this Pixar computer animation business.
Well, a few months of casually giving the option among Kung Fu Panda and Horton Hears a Who, Jack finally decided that he wanted to watch...wait for it...waaaiiiitttt...The Brave Little Toaster! Yeah, that's right, a classic tale of adventure and the bravery of common household appliances. The verdict is, he loves it. He has watched it everyday for the last week it seems.
I, on the other hand, have realized just how terrifying this movie really is. I mean, there is a dream sequence with an evil clown with fire blowing hands and yellow, nasty teeth that will keep you up at night for reals. Luckily, Jack doesn't seem to mind just as I, as a kid, apparently didn't mind either.
So, here's to the classics. Hopefully I can find some Thundercats on DVD next time I hit up Costco for my gallon jug of soy sauce and 30 count package of multi-colored Sharpies.

9 comments:

Valerie said...

I'd counsel against that soy sauce.

Valerie said...

And, tell me about it. Those cartoons from childhood are awesome, buuuuuuuuut crazy. Have you watched Fantasia recently?

Holly said...

I LOVED that movie!!!

Allen TenBusschen said...

I concur, this movie is a nightmare in 2-D. This last fourth of July, we popped this "classic" on for the kids, and I kid you not, about 7-9 adults and I stood there with a constant look of horror on our face. That dream sequence is awful, also that air conditioner dying, wow what a rough one.

Shiloh said...

I vaguely remember this. And from the previous comments, maybe its better that is stays that way.

gk risser said...

This was a classic in my home that saw repeated veiwing. There were a good number of Cal Arts (a school in my home town)students on the animation team and some local jokes are included in the film.

I wish I'd thought about writing a story about all the loving and tenacious appliances that get left behind...my favorite scene is in the junk yard.

Marisa Hodges said...

I definatly remember this one its good. Some of the classics we have found online for downloading, like the original little engine that could. I am always trying to find good things for my kid to watch, over here half the time we get Dora but its in Arabic..... talk about getting a kid confused!

annie said...

gk,
that is jack's very favorite too. he watches the whole thing just to get to that part.
i knew you two had a lot in common.

Angel said...

I can hook you up with a website that has the ThundarCats archived. My girls actually beg me to watch it. HULU also has some great choices: Speed Racer, Pink Panther, and Inspector Gadget.