Saturday, November 20, 2010

Harry and the Potters*



Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part I.
Fantastic.
I have been to the midnight showing of every one of these films.
I love them. Even the crappy first ones when the kids couldn't act and the directing was terrible and no artistic license was taken.
I love the movies but I love the books more.
I love the books because they helped me rediscover my love of reading.
After years and years of Cliffs Noting my way through assignments and reading nothing longer than a Rolling Stone article, I borrowed Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone from a friend and my world changed.
I have all of the books in American and British versions.
Each set has its own shelf.


Yeah, I own a quaffle.
I am not ashamed that I had flannel Harry Potter sheets on my bed at college. The only reason I don't have them anymore is because I got married and they didn't sell them in queen size at the Rexburg K-Mart.
I am not ashamed that I have a box full of Harry Potter awesomeness: figurines, markers, an HP blanket, and a lunch box among other things.
And to tell you the truth, I am not entirely convinced that the wizarding world is fictitious.
There is a school here in Raleigh called Ravenscroft and I know in my heart that it is a school for witchcraft and wizardry and not just a private school for rich kids.
There is a restaurant near my house called The Pipers Tavern which I have never been to partly because I think it is a pub for wizards only, not unlike The Leaky Cauldron.
When I pass by a building for lease or any old, rundown structure, I am pretty sure it's St Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries.
Sometimes, I get a little disappointed that I am merely a muggle.
So, next time you're at my house and I offer you a beverage from one of my Harry Potter glasses, consider it the highest compliment.

* Harry and the Potters is a duo that sing songs about Harry Potter. Brilliant.


6 comments:

Valerie said...

I didn't know that Harry Potter was your gateway into reading. That's wonderful. I love learning new things about you.

p.s. There is a Wizard Rock festival tomorrow featuring (among others) Draco and the Malfoys, the House of Black, and Justin Finch Fletchley and the Sugar Quills.
It's in Williamsburg. Obviously.

david said...

Is there a Harry potter version of coo coo puffs? You could probably get some.

mama.laughead said...

We are friends with another family with both sets of books. Now I am wondering how many others there are. Their dog is named Nymphadora Tonks and they call her Tonksy. Before I knew who Hermione was, there was a puppy that I met with that name. It is so disappointing to be such a muggle.

Lindsay Coudron said...

So I'm wondering if there is a difference in the British version? Is it something I should read:) Your children are beautiful!!!!

gaye said...

Annie, I am wondering too, with Lindsay, are the British version of the books different or do they just look cool?

annie said...

besides the first one being the Philosopher's Stone instead of Sorcerer's Stone, they're not written any different. the book covers are different and the actual shape of the book is shorter and fatter.