Tuesday, April 2, 2013

A Slacker Talks About Holidays

So, I read this blog post recently that made the rounds on Facebook and caused a bit of a ruckus with some people I am friends with.
The woman was basically saying that moms are going way overboard on every single holiday and it makes the ones who don't turn the toilet water green, make matching shamrock headbands for their daughters, and cook an entirely green breakfast for their kids on St. Patrick's Day look like chumps.  
The moms who do that kind of stuff were all, "Hey don't hate on us because we are already digging a hole to plant our yearly 'We Love Earth More Than You' tree while the earth-shaped cookies bake and before we collect trash on the highway."
Not that there is anything wrong with that.
There are so many ways to raise good kids and we should never group moms into any kind of category...
But, if you were a big jerk and did that sort of thing and wondered which category I fell into, my kids didn't even know it was St. Patrick's Day.

They did know about Easter.
I'm not a total slacker.
Except that I went to Target on Saturday to get everything.
Frankly, I recommend it.
They still had plenty of stuff and some of it was even marked down because what horrible parent waits until the day before to get all of their crap done.
This one.

Easter was low key and awesome--just the way I like it.
The kids had a little hunt around the house in the morning, we went to church, and had a wonderful dinner with family that evening.



  Ben made an amazing Boston Cream Pie for dessert.
He's a keeper.

While I've got nothing against you if you love this stuff, I'm tired.
And I'm excited for a few months without any major holidays.
My personal feeling is if everything is a big deal, then nothing is a big deal.
So, forgive me if we aren't having a huge Earth Day extravaganza at my house.
I do love you, earth.
I will continue to not litter and I will teach my kids to do the same.
Just probably without cookies.





2 comments:

Valerie said...

This is all adorable. And you are kidding me about earth day. No one does that. Right? Please tell me no one does that?

Also, earth day is James's birthday, and you know how crazy jealous he's always been of earth.

Russell, Aimee and Savannah said...

If it makes the world feel better we did not even celebrate my daughters birthday this year because I was just trying to keep my head above water. I actually did do St. Patricks but only because I thought I had already missed it. When realizing I had not I just thought it was a do over. I made the stupid green eggs and then wanted to vomit.....because they were crappy green eggs. sigh....motherhood. I am missing you like crazy lately. Lets play already!!!!