Thursday, May 2, 2013

"It's not time to worry yet."

Atticus Finch. 
There's a guy we'd all be better served by listening to.
I could certainly use an Atticus.
I'm a worrier by nature.
I worry about my family.
I worry about my friends.
I worry about time and money and prioritizing.
Am I being the best wife/mother/sister/daughter/friend that I can be?
Am I supportive enough?
Do I serve enough?
Am I showing people that I appreciate them?
Am I attentive enough?
Do I discipline my kids effectively?
Am I teaching them valuable life lessons?
Etc...

The fact is I don't know if I am doing anything "good enough".
I mean, what is that anyway?
Here's what I know:
I love my family.
I love my friends.
The choices I make are almost always for their benefit, their protection, their well-being.
I don't always get it right.
I can't always do everything I want to do.
I screw up sometimes.
And I worry about that.

I think I'll always be a worrier.
And frankly, the opposite doesn't really appeal to me.
Not worrying about anything makes you carefree perhaps, but it also makes you apathetic, doesn't it?
I think it's just finding a balance of not worrying so much about things I can't control.

I'm worried about finding that balance...

No comments: