Wednesday, January 28, 2015

The Soapbox Post

The title was a warning. You've officially been warned...
Ok, I make it a point, generally, to stay away from discussions on social media about political or social "hot topics". This particular one has been around for a while, which makes me way late to the game. It's also quite possible that no one cares to hear my opinion on the matter, but this is my tiny piece of the internets and I get to say whatever I want. Murica.
I actually have friends on both sides of this particular issue, so I do care about how I come across when I talk about it. I really don't want to sound obnoxious or belittling, but at the same time I want people to understand why I feel like I'm right. I mean, why would we have opinions on anything if we didn't think we were right, right? So yeah, I may lose some friends in 3...2...1...
Here goes... Vaccinate your kids. Please. This should not be a debate. I don't care if you do a delayed schedule or what. Just do it. Let's pretend that autism isn't even a part of the equation. One, because it shouldn't be. And two, because there seems to be a more vocal "anti-vax" voice as of late and these (I can optimistically assume, well intentioned) people are the ones that I just can't seem to sympathize with in any capacity. Hashtag sorry, not sorry.
This whole idea that vaccines are bad because they have so many chemicals and ingredients that most of us can't pronounce and why would we put these things into our bodies when we have no idea what it can do to us long term. Listen, I hear you but, how do I put this nicely... I don't care. I do it because - Science. And so should you.
Thankfully, for most of the people who complain about the icky things they'd be injecting into their babies were they to choose to vaccinate them, these will be the only chemicals they'll have to worry about purposefully giving to their kids. Truly, this makes me very happy. But please, if you would allow me to wax dramatic for a second: Talk to me when you have to watch someone inject your child with enough poison to literally kill them for the very purpose of saving their life. And then, because of that, this child has no immune system at all and must rely on everyone else's vaccinated children to keep them healthy until they themselves are able to receive those same vaccinations and, you know, not die. 
This is when we really need to weigh the good with the bad. And there is a lot of bad. A LOT. A few examples: diarrhea, constipation, chronic pain, loss of hearing, loss of sight, loss of organ function (which one? It's anyone's guess really), loss of fertility, increase risk of other forms of cancer. Then there's the good: no more drugs, no more toxic chemicals secreted through the skin, no more hair loss and vomiting and dehydration, no more feeding tube, no more daily blood draws, removal of cancer from the body, a healthy child, a living child. None of these are guaranteed. The good or the bad. Just possibilities. Question marks. Do you risk it? Let me answer that for you. Yeah, you do. You do your own research. You ask questions. Lots of them. You can even consult other medically trained people in other hospitals, in other states, in other countries. And then you trust the medical community to do what they have been trained to do. To tell you the truth. To use the information they've gleaned from years and years of research and experiments and testing. And you let them do their job. Because sometimes the good outweighs the bad in a bigger way than just icky chemicals, a sore, chubby leg, and a low grade fever. 
And here's the thing, we do know some long term effects of vaccines. Let's start with complete eradication or significant decrease in several awful diseases that our generation never even had to experience because of, you guessed it, vaccinating kids. I'd also like to give some attention to the developing world who would give anything to have the very vaccines that people here are shunning because they don't want to have to weigh the good with the bad. They just want the good. Sigh. Don't we all.

3 comments:

lindsey said...

Bravo. Slow clap like Shia Lebouf. Salute.

Brittany Krallis Stapf said...

Agree and agree.

Shandi Elise Hill said...

Love this. What a thoughtful approach to such a controversial topic. I completely agree.